Friday, June 8, 2012

Preparing for corporate worship

"Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless His holy name" (Ps. 103:1). "Through Him then, let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that give thanks to his name" (Heb. 13:15). From these verses, I think we can at least make the observation that worship is not passive. Given that worship involves an active participation, I pose the following as some questions each of us could ask in preparation for worship as a church this Sunday:

-- What is an attribute of God that has been particularly meaningful to me this week?

-- What recent work of God do I have to thank Him for?

-- What difference has the gospel of Jesus -- and/or reflecting on the gospel -- meant in my life recently?

-- In what ways can I praise and thank God this Sunday so that He would be glorified and other worshipers would be built up?

-- Will I fight during worship to be focused -- and stay focused -- on our Triune God and his work?

-- Will I sing with understanding that I might teach others the truth in so doing?

-- How can I serve fellow worshipers this Sunday that I might exalt Christ and bless them?

-- Will I see my fellow worshipers as my true and eternal brothers and sisters who need grace as I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment