Friday, September 14, 2012

Preparing for corporate worship: Encountering God

In Job 42, the book's namesake responds to God's continual questioning in the four previous chapters -- questioning that points to the truth that God is sovereign and Job is not. When God finishes speaking, Job says, "I know that You can do all things, and that no purpose of Yours can be thwarted. ‘Who is this that hides counsel without knowledge?’ Therefore I have declared that which I did not understand, things too wonderful for me, which I did not know. ‘Hear, now, and I will speak; I will ask You, and You instruct me.’ I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear; but now my eye sees You; therefore I retract, and I repent in dust and ashes” (Job 42:2-6). Job encounters God, who reveals Himself to Job. Job responds with worship -- declaring who God is, humbling himself before God with a new knowledge of who He is and repenting of his sins. We gather as a community weekly to encounter God, especially through His Word, that we might know Him better, worship Him and be changed by Him. May we come Sunday desiring this kind of life-changing time of worship of the one true God.

No comments:

Post a Comment