Tuesday, May 8, 2012

For your attention

1. Why moms should be Christ-centered, not child-centered – I read most of this blog post by Luma Simms in the May 6 sermon on Luke 14:25-26. I hope it will be helpful to mothers and families.

2. “Why I no longer say God didn’t cause this birth defect in my child” – Justin Taylor introduces a young pastor, Josh McPherson, and quotes from and links to his comments upon learning a second child of his has been diagnosed with spina bifida.

3. Reading fiction can be good for Christians – In an interview with Tim Challies, Russell Moore discusses the benefits to Christ’s followers of reading fiction, makes some recommendations and provides insights on establishing boundaries in reading.

4. Jon Will turns 40 – Columnist George Will writes poignantly and perceptively about his son, Jon, who turned 40 May 4. Jon has Down syndrome. Will’s essay, while not written as an explicit expression of a biblical worldview, provides insight on what it has been like for a boy/man with Down syndrome the last four decades.

2 comments:

  1. Tom, thanks for posting. I read all of these. Regarding #1, I was in the nursery first hour, so I missed the blog reading, and your sermon. I loved getting this little taste of it, and can't wait to hear the sermon now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading all, Donna. That's encouraging.

    ReplyDelete