Friday, March 7, 2014

The church and our preferences

What is the role of the church in the life of a Christian?

That is a question too often ignored by Christians or answered poorly by Christians. In fact, it seems some Christians question whether the church plays much of a role in their lives. In essence, their words and practice indicate they can take or leave the local church.

I believe I have grown in my understanding of the indispensability of the church to my life. And I think a lot of other evangelical Christians have as well during the last decade or two.

Some evangelicals, notably those in their 20s and 30s, have written biblically and effectively about the church, and Trillia Newbell is one of those. She is a young wife and mother whose first book was released March 1. Trillia, who is black, has written United: Captured by God's Vision for Diversity (Moody Publishers). The Gospel Coalition excerpted part of her book in a March 4 blog post titled "Where Preferences Go to Die," and I highly recommend you read it. You can read the full post here.

Here are the opening paragraphs of some splendid thoughts about the church:
I love my church. Without question it's a community unified in worshiping the Father, ministering to our surrounding environment, and encouraging one another to deepen our faith. In some ways, though, I'm nothing like this body of believers. I look different. I have a different cultural background. There certainly are churches I could run to where everyone looks like me. That might be easier. Or I could find a church that sings and worships the way I prefer to—or one with a preacher who addresses his congregation in my favorite style.

But ultimately, I know all those preferential things are just that: preferences. If a church doesn't teach sound doctrine, after all, none of those preferences matters, since my soul could be at risk. I want to be in a place where I know I'll be fed the solid Word of God. This promise keeps me returning each Sunday morning; I need to be reminded that my greatest need is the good news, and that Jesus' redeeming love and resurrection is for today—for me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment